Remember it is me and I'm allowed a few spelling, punctuation and sentence structure errors now and then.

Friday, February 17, 2012

My Alzheimer's Series: "The Middle Stage" is finished.

The Alzheimer's Disease
A leaf once green and healthy changes color and its fibers break down as the winter seasone approaches. I captured that last year through my photography. It's interesting to me that just as this happens in the life span of nature such as this leaf, it can also happen to us. Here are two of my three finished abstract paintings that represent our brains life as this disease overtakes it.

"Early Stage"

Mild cognitive decline (early-stage Alzheimer's can be diagnosed in some, but not all, individuals with these symptoms). Friends, family or co-workers begin to notice difficulties. During a detailed medical interview, doctors may be able to detect problems in memory or concentration. Common difficulties include:

•Noticeable problems coming up with the right word or name
•Trouble remembering names when introduced to new people
•Having noticeably greater difficulty performing tasks in social or work settings.
•Forgetting material that onehas just read
•Losing or misplacing a valuable object
•Increasing trouble with planning or organizing

"Middle Stage"

Neurons are the chief type of cell destroyed by Alzheimer's disease. Alzheimer's disease disrupts both the way electrical charges travel within cells and the activity of neurotransmitters.

These photos and paintings of mine are meant to represent and bring a better understanding of what is happening in the brain of an Alzheimer's patient. The brain has 100 billion nerve cells (neurons). Each nerve cell connects with many others to form communication networks. Groups of nerve cells have special jobs. Some are involved in thinking, learning and remembering. Others help us see, hear and smell. It's the destruction and death of nerve cells that causes memory failure, personality changes, problems carrying out daily activities and other symptoms of Alzheimer's disease.

As I paint my last of my series of three paintings, I hope it explains not only my thought process, but it also gives you a better understanding of the disease. With the help of the everyday cycle of nature and my photography my abstract paintings will hopefully bring more awareness to this disease.





No comments:

Post a Comment