Remember it is me and I'm allowed a few spelling, punctuation and sentence structure errors now and then.

Monday, April 13, 2015

How Abstract Fits Into My Art - Concrete, Photography and Painting

I have finally come up with a clear answer to how I use abstract in my art?

My pastor from the church I attend finished a series on the Parables from the Bible. The Sunday he began the first Parable he read the definition to explain what a Parable is meant to do. When I heard this I thought, "Wow, this is it!  It makes my world of abstract art make sense as well!"  

Here is the quote:

"At its simplest, the parable is a metaphor or simile drawn from nature or common life, surprising the hearer by its vividness or strangeness, and leaving the mind in sufficient doubt about its precise meaning in order to tease your mind into active thought."


As you may know already my photography is what inspires me to paint and create concrete art.

A black and white of naturally sculpted sand on the shore of Lake Michigan

These weathered branched make up a natural abstract design within the photo frame.

I spend a lot of time with my camera looking in the nooks and crannies of nature trying to find something both interesting and beautiful.  Something that inspires me to dream up my next idea. 

If I rephrase this quote to fit me and my art it would go something like this:

"At its simplest, my art is a metaphor or simile drawn from nature or common life, surprising the viewer by its vividness or strangeness, and leaving the mind in sufficient doubt about its precise meaning in order to tease your mind into active thought."

Do you ever look and someone's art and say, "What in the world is that or I don't get it?"  When you see my art, you don't have to know the precise meaning, just let it speak to you as you see it.  Let it tease your mind a bit. If you ever want to know my thoughts behind my art, just ask!


Below are a few examples of two finished pieces of abstract art. The first one is a painting. This painting was a representation of one of the Parables our pastor spoke about. The other is a fountain done a few years back.


Acrylic Abstract 30" x 14"
"Intentional Prayer - Learning To Listen" 

This painting was based on the passage from the Bible, Matthew 7:25, 26a -  The Parable: The Two Builder's. Take time to read that parable and let me know how this painting speaks to you. Pay close attention to my title of this painting as well.  It may help you understand my thought process.

This concrete fountain of mine is a abstract as well. You may be able to know what it represents but what kind of feeling or mood do you have viewing it?  I think it's more abstract than realistic.


What kind of art do you prefer?  Art that you look at and know immediately what it is or art that makes you think? Let me know and comment below.





No comments:

Post a Comment