Remember it is me and I'm allowed a few spelling, punctuation and sentence structure errors now and then.

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Death and Resurrection

Today I thought I would show you something a bit different.  I really can't say I was commissioned to do this.  I was asked to do it, and it was a donation.  Something I like to do once in a while. 
 
Here is a little background on why I chose to do this cross.  My church's Lenten series was on Job.  On the first Sunday of Lent the pastor dropped a ceramic pot which broke into many pieces, which was meant to represent us removing and scraping the scabs and sores (sins) from ourselves.  Each member received a colored tile that first Sunday in Lent, representing a broken piece from the ceramic pot.   Then on Palm Sunday (the Sunday before Easter), each member was asked to bring back their tile. 
 
That's where I came in.  I was asked to make something I felt would be appropriate for our church for Easter morning with those tiles.  I thought it would be a better idea if it could also be a piece of art that would be lasting throughout the year.  This is what I came up with.  The base for the tile is concrete.  I think this cross represent Jesus' life AND death on the cross. 


I hope to finish a few other pieces to go with this cross.  Next up will be a baptismal bowl and pitcher.  If I have enough tiles left I'll also add a plate and cup for Communion as well.  I'll be sure to show you the rest of these pieces as I finish them.

No comments:

Post a Comment